Wednesday, October 27, 2010

38 Weeks

I've never had conversations with as many strangers as I have in the last couple of weeks. Everyone loves a pregnant woman! They all want to know when I'm due, many take a guess at whether it's a boy or a girl, and most are very generous with the compliments, which are always welcomed! :-)

We're at 38 weeks now and I'm still feeling good, despite the slightly swollen ankles and general lack of a good night's sleep. I'm ready to have this baby, but not overly ready to get the pregnancy over with. I am still awed when I feel her move inside my belly, unless of course she's punching me in the bladder (which has become a common, somewhat painful, and decidedly uncomfortable activity).

Here's the Baby Center update for this week:

Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)


I keep hoping for a green-eyed baby, which is quite possible since Jeremy and I both have a green-eyed parent, but I'm betting she'll have brown eyes like we do.

I don't yet have a picture of myself to post for this week, but I'll try to get one tomorrow!

10/30 - Here's a picture from today!

1 comment:

nonna said...

How much have you gained? I can't imagine how excited you must be!!! I am sharing that excitement almost as much!!! Looking forward to a trip to atlanta REAL SOON!!!